I had a gripe about Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0 . I have been using it since beta days and a new “feature” has been bugging me, so I fixed it with my extension. Basically this extension allows you to configure whether to see a new mail alert (popup) per account instead of just a global setting.
By default, [i.e. if you don’t specify the setting in Tools->Accounts->Server Settings -> Show new mail alerts] it will show the alert. So if you want to disable the new mail alert for an account you have to uncheck this box. From the limited testing I have been able to do [On Windows XP / Thunderbird 2.0b2 and Thunderbird 2.0.0], it works fairly well. I will submit this to Mozilla Addons and but I think it will on the public site for “quite some time”. Meanwhile it is available here for downloads and updates. You may try it at your own risk, I will try my best to support any user.
New Mail Alert Config version 0.1.0
You can download the extension from http://downloads.unsignedbyte.com/nmalertconfig/nmalertconfig.xpi. You will need to save it your hard disk and then install it from Thunderbird Extension Manager.
Instructions for installing:
- Right click on the link and choose “Save Link As…” or “Save Target As…”.
- Choose a file path on your hard disk. [Desktop/Home folder is fine too].
- In Thunderbird, goto Tools -> Extensions or Tools -> Add ons.
- Choose Install, locate the the NMALERTCONFIG.XPI file you saved in step 2.
- Restart Thunderbird.
Instructions for usage:
- By default, the standard behavior is observed [i.e. all new mail alerts are shown].
- If you want to disable alerts for a particular account, go to Tools->Accounts->[Select the Account]->Server Settings.
- Uncheck the checkbox saying “Show new mail alerts for this account”.
- Click Ok.